Today’s scripture selection: Mark 13-14
Key Verses: Mark 13:31
“Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.”
We live in a throw-away society. That’s no great revelation; we all experience it every day.
- Paper plates and forks so that we can eat
- A fast food meal so we can watch
- TV Commercials telling us to buy clothes and cars
- That will be out of style and fashion next month.
And, unfortunately, some people seem to think that relationships are easily expendable too. Just ask all the people who come into pre-marital counseling and actually say to their counseling pastor – “Well, if it doesn’t work out, we can always get divorced.”
Trust me – people actually say that. I’ve heard it way too many times.
So isn’t it refreshing, and hopeful, to hear Jesus speak about something permanent – something you can believe in – always.
And what is it? Is it
- The government?
- The religious establishment?
- The latest psychological theory?
- The balance in your bank account?
- The movie star or the athlete you admire?
- Your own intelligence or abilities or wonderful personality?
Nope – what’s permanent – what will be there even after Heaven and earth pass away – is God’s truth.
So, when it seems as if things are changing faster than you can keep up with, sit down and read a few of Jesus’ words. You will find them in the Bible. And, even if all the Bibles in the world one day vanish – it won’t matter – the truth of those words will live on forever.
And, if you believe them, you will too.
Prayer: Eternal God, thank you for the security of your love, expressed in your everlasting truth. AMEN.